Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Wonderful Night of Music at the Hanoi Opera House

June 13, Sunday. Hanoi, Vietnam.  

I bought a ticket for a show at the Opera House tonight.  It's my third time in Hanoi but my very first time to watch a show at the Opera House.


My previous projects actually booked me a stone's throw away from the Opera House (Metropole and Hilton) but I didn't have the time or I was just too tired.  This time around I made sure that I wouldn't miss this opportunity.  Had to part with 350,000 VND but I think it will be worth it.  The Itallian cellist, Giovanni Sollima is performing.

I arrived twenty minutes early and saw both locals and foreigners taking their seats.

I don't really go to concerts such as these but I didn't regret coming one bit.  Giovanni played with such passion.  His body and the cello were just like one instrument.  He was sweating profusely and had to wipe his cello at some point. He played with such force and tenderness.  A string on his cello broke but he continued playing with great intensity.  I was beginning to understand why musicians love performing and why it consumes them so.

If I remember right, he played a number of his original compositions while a few were not.  I am trying to find the list of pieces he performed but cannot find it at the moment. (sigh).  Anyway I am so glad I took time out for this!  I definitely want to catch a show at the Opera House the next time I visit Hanoi.

No comments:

Post a Comment