Saturday, October 9, 2010
Sometime November 2009 and some eight hours away from Colombo. Built in 1913 by the British in a small fishing village called Batticaloa, this historical landmark was recently restored with the help of USAID funds. Also known as “Muttawaran” by the locals-as the lighthouse sits near a sandbar separating the lagoon and the Indian ocean. Set against the clear blue skies and the softly lapping waters of the Indian Ocean, Muttawaran has stood the test of time including the heart-wrenching tsunami. Hopefully this historical landmark continues to live on. A sign of light and hope.